May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"Burlesque"

Sigh. Exhausting, an assault on the senses, enough bumping and grinding to last a lifetime, (actually I found that part boring but that's just me). However, worth sitting though it- to see and hear Cher, who's still got it! This woman has charisma that cannot be denied! And I can see why Christina Aguilera is so popular. She's likable and she can really belt it out. (And actually act pretty well!) There's a story, of course, of a financially failing Burlesque venue, co-owned by "Tess" (Cher) and her ex-husband, and the really, really weathly guy who wants to buy the property (for devious reasons discovered and revealed by Christina Aguilera). This gives something for the musical numbers to hang on. And, of course there's the love interest, "Jack," very well played by Cam Girgandet. This fine young actor has apparently already made quite a name for himself on several very popular TV shows that I never watch. Anyway, the dialogue, is great, but alas, too infrequent. There's a lot of backstage cliche stuff. I don't know why Alan Cumming is given star billing, since he's not a major factor in the film, and has a very small amount of time on screen. Oh, well, moving right along -- Stanley Tucci is wonderful as always -- I really enjoy watching him so effortlessly inhabiting whatever role he's playing. He's splendid in this film. Anyway, it was directed by Steve Antin. Photgraphy was good, cutting back and forth among musical numbers (painfully loud.) trying to move the story along. However, despite my appreciation for several of the performers, I can't in good conscience give it more than TWO STARS. (Maybe if I were 20 or 30 years younger...)

No comments:

Post a Comment