May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Monday, December 6, 2010

"Bhutto"

A far cry from my usual "escape" entertainment, I was enthralled by this historical documentary about Benazir Bhutto, the only woman ever to lead a Muslim country -- twice elected Prime Minister! Beautiful, brilliant, charismatic, articulate and powerful speaker, she followed in her father's footsteps carrying forward his ideals of Democracy and actions which truly served the best interests of the people of Pakistan. Her father, predecessor, Prime Minister, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto was overthrown by the very General he appointed as head of the Military in Pakistan. (And who probably was responsible for his death.) Sustained by her absolute faith in God, a true "statesman," Bhutto stands out in my mind as one of the great leaders (and martyrs) of all time. (She was assassinated in her mid thirties, if I recall correctly.)Written by Johnny O'Hara who co-Directed with Duane Baughman, it's one of the few (if the only) historical documentary I've ever seen that was so masterfully created that even I could follow and understand the complicated aspects-- of Pakistan's internal political turmoil and external international relations -- and this with marvelous personal interviews with relevant individuals, including Bhutto's husband and daughters. Highly recommended. FOUR STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment