May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

"MADE IN DAGENHAM"

If you can always understand the British accents (which I can't, so therefore I miss a lot of the obviously witty dialogue) you will probably find this film absolutely marvelous! As for me, even with the accent challenge, I really enjoyed this film! The acting was first rate by everyone in an excellent cast headed by Sally Hawkins (remember her from "Happy Go Lucky" ?), who is at her very best, with Bob Hoskins, Miranda Richardson, Rosamund Pike, and Geraldine James, plus one of my all time favorite actors (though he plays the role of the Ford Company exec who goes to Dagenham to stop the women stiking for "Equal Pay" ) Richard Schiff (remember him from "West Wing"?). At the end of the film while credits roll, you get to see and hear some of these brave women who actually participated in those tulmultuous times. I loved the red haired woman who played the -- what was it now? some office high up in the British Government, who wasn't intimidated by the Ford rep (Boo! Hiss!) threat to withdraw auto production from England. Photography was splendid, including just enough real newsreel footage from this groundbreaking event in labor relations to show when/what/how this actually happened! Well worth seeing. So, I'm going for FOUR STARS despite my handicap!

1 comment:

  1. On careful reflection, I realize that it's not ALL British accents that I can't understand, it's the Cockney that makes me cringe! After all, I had no trouble with the accents of the royals in "The King's Speech." Sorry about the class distinction, but I can only hear what I can hear. Also, "Made In Daggenham" had some other flaws (most men really do know how to cook, if necessary), but I overlooked that scene because, well, the message of the film was so important. SP

    ReplyDelete