May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

"How Do You Know"

Okay, so it's not a great movie, but the cast is marvelous! The film is worth seeing just to watch Jack Nicholson's performance. He is fantastic! I wish he would do more movies. Owen Wilson always plays Owen Wilson, though he seems a bit more likable than usual as a rich and famous jock. Reese Witherspoon's character playing his girlfriend (one among many, it would seem, though they are moving sightly toward a more monogamous relationship - hard to tell - kind of on again, off again --- frankly I didn't like the premise very much, I think it sends the wrong message that it's fine to have sex without the benefit of commitment -- but then, I guess that's what's socially acceptable these days. Sigh.) Anyway, Witherspoon's acting is excellent, and so is Paul Rudd's -- (who plays Nicholson's son ).-- Rudd meets her just after the bottom has fallen out of his life, lost his job due to some legal stuff, caused by his father. And she's depressed because she has just been cut from the next season's lineup of her sports team. Of course Rudd gradually falls in love with her, though he honors her relationship with her boyfriend. Must mention an outstanding performance by Kathryn Hahn who plays "Annie," Rudd's assistant (who happens to be unmarried and pregnant, though not by him). She is terriffic! There are some truly funny situations/conversations/interactions, with all these characters but I can understand why the critics slammed it. I'm not that unkind, because I felt that the acting made up for the annoying story/plot lines that the writers, including the usually marvelous James L. Brooks (who also directed -- quite well, I think) put together. So, all things considered (I was not bored at all, and although annoyed was not "offended") I'm going to stick my neck out and give it THREE STARS. If you go in with low expectations, you can enjoy what's good about it, and ignore what's not.

No comments:

Post a Comment