May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"VSION-from the life of Hildegard Von Bingen"

This is based on the true story of a 12th Century Nun who was a seer, a mystic, and a unique invincible woman - whose "Visions" and the messages from the voice she heard, were written down by one of the Benedictine monks. (Of course permission had to be obtained from the higher-ups in the clergy for this work.) - There was also opposition and scepticism. However, Hildegarde left a legacy of several volumes of fascinating narrative. The movie is remarkable in that the entire cast could not have been better; they did not seem to be actors, playing a part, but rather as if this were a documentary film of real monks and real nuns. Of course, if you're a follower of the work of the DirectorMargareth von Trotta, you would expect nothing less than perfection, with the starring role of Sister (then to be elected Mother of the Cloister) Hildegard played by Barbara Sukowa. (I only know these names because I looked them up in the film's synopsis.) It's in German with English subtitles that reveal the intelligence (and some wit) of the writers of the dialogue, including an appropriate amount (a lot) of silence. This is an unusual film, and I don't know how to do it justice. Though it seemed long (running time actually less than two hours) it was never boring. There were long shots in total silence with closeups of faces that clearly - or was it subtly? - revealed their hidden feelings. Drawn into the 12th Century cloistered world, I felt as if I were inside those repressive walls myself. Yet there were enough action scenes, dramatic confrontations, so that plenty of suspense was created.. Perhaps not everyone will appreciate this movie (isn't that always the case?), but I thought it was wonderful (full of wonder!) So, I have to give it "positively personal" FOUR STARS. SP

No comments:

Post a Comment