May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"The Princess of Montpensier"

Mostly fascinating, though it lags in a few places. Starts off with a brutal, bloody battle scene. Takes place in 1562 during the Catholic-Protestant wars. As far as I'm concerned, the hero who steals the show ( despite excellent acting by the entire cast and the great beauty of "Marie", the Princess played by Melanie Thierry), is Lambert Wilson, playing the aging (I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder -- though he's definitely not young, compared to the dashing young cousin she wants to marry, and the husband she is ordered to marry by her father (for political reasons.) Still, Wilson's "Count Chabannes" is fantastic! (Remember him from the Award winning, "Gods Among Men") An Epic costume drama, skillfully directed by the renowned Bertrand Tavernier, this film contains enough duels, and brutal battle scenes to satisfy the most bloodthirsty viewer. (A bit much for me, actually) Not to mention a few passionate encounters, plus the wedding night scene (probably historically corrrect), attended by relatives and interested parties awaiting the results. The audience in my theater (probably Franco-philes) applauded at the end. Fine sub-titles.It was about two and a half hours l- o- n- g. (I got tired) but, nevertheless: THREE and a HALF STARS.

No comments:

Post a Comment