May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

"The Lincoln Lawyer"

From a novel by Michael Connely, who shares writing credits for the film(I think it's based on a novel he wrote), I can't say I "enjoyed" it, because it was mostly uncomfortable to witness (note the - no pun intended - legal term) the greed of Matthew McConaughey who plays a defense attorney who seems to have no scruples about getting his guilty clients acquitted -- for a substantial fee, of course. Even worse was finding out the truth about his most high-profile (extremely rich) client, "Louis" played by Ryan Phillippe, who consistently proclaims his innocence. I disliked the type of photography used to illustrate the story of the crime being told by two different people -- a sort of a reddish lens made it unpleasant to watch. The best aspect of the movie was the excellent acting, by the entire cast, particularly, of course McConaughey, Marisa Tomei ("Maggie," for the prosecution), and Wm. H. Macy as "Frank," the defense Investigator. Very few of the characters were likeable, and if it were not for my appreciation of the acting and my curiousity to see how it would end, I would have walked out. Still, because of the excellent acting, I'm going to give it TWO and 1/2 STARS.

1 comment:

  1. Obviously, my movie honeymoon is over. After the joy of seeing the marvelous "Win Win" and "Queen to Play," I am catching up on some of the less excellent movie offerings. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete