May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"The Adjustment Bureau"

Well, critics gave this mixed reviews, and I can understand why. It's not bad, but not really very good, because of, well, I'm not exactly sure why. What I really enjoyed, actually loved, was watching Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. They are so great, one would have thought they could make up for the flaws in the rest of the film. Unfortunately, even they could not compensate. The premise showed promise, but the way it was executed just didn't make it hold up. I'm sure by now you know the story is that our actions are controlled by a "Chairman" and his staff who make sure we live our lives according to the 'plan' already written by the Power/s that Be. So, basically forget about Free Will (except for minor choices, still within the grand scheme of things.) By a five minute "mistake," Matt Damon's character does not spill his coffee on schedule, therefore, he catches his bus, and meets Emily on the bus. Then he runs into her again (also not according to the plan). Then he "accidentally" goes through doors he's not supposed to, and discovers the staff (I forget what they are called, the Hat Wearing minions who watch the progress of us lowly human creatures) . Anyway, will Matt beat the system? Will he confront the Chairman? Can Emily achieve the prima ballerina status she was supposed (destined?) to gain in this lifetime? Will he be elected Senator (and onward to the Oval Office)? Well, only because of the two actors, who as far as I'm concerned can do no wrong, I'll give it TWO and a HALF STARS.

No comments:

Post a Comment