May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Movies I Won't See - and Why

The following confession may lose me some readers - and even Followers of this blog, but in the interest of truth in advertising, I want to explain my reasons, my personal bias, for choosing the movies I see. For instance, much as I love James Franco, I can't bring myself to see "127 Hours." Already there are reports of people fainting during the film ( based on a true story) -- probably when he cuts off his arm in order to free himself from a boulder that trapped him while he was out hiking. I'm way too queasy to watch that.
Then there's the ballet movie (though I love ballet) I won't see, "Black Swan," being touted as a "sexual psychological thriller." Nuff said?
"Unstoppable" -- probably very exciting, and Denzel Washington is one of my favorites, but I'm trying to get rid of stress and tension in my life, I don't need to secrete more adrenalin. Ditto for "Faster" with Dwayne Johnson aka the Rock, and Billy Bob Thornton, both of whom I like.
Reports are that "Fair Game" the story of the CIA undercover agent Valerie Plane who was outed by folks in the Bush administration, is an excellent film. Naomi Watts and Sean Penn star. However, as you must have noticed, I go to the movies to escape the reality of betrayal and dishonesty -- not to be reminded of the corruption in government and politics.
Keep in mind that perception and appreciation of entertainment is totally subjective. A lot depends on the personal preferences of the viewer, his or her Age(major factor) Mood and state of Health on that day! Toothache? Stomach ache? Tired? Cynical by nature?
I'm sure that Anne Hathaway and Jake Gyllenhaal are marvelous in "Love & Other Drugs," but hey, folks, I'm 81, and sexy romantic romps with as much nudity as they can get away with don't interest me. So there you have it.
I take a lot of pleasure in many fine Foreign films as well some little Independent ones I've discovered, rather than the big blockbusters. But, let's see what this next month brings to the silver screen. We are, after all, leading up to the Academy Awards, about which I will NOT make any predictions, other than to point out performances in my reviews that I think are "Oscar worthy." Thank you for your kind attention to this ranting. See you at the movies! SP

No comments:

Post a Comment