May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Friday, November 19, 2010

""Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"

Superb phtography by Cinematographer Eduardo Serra (He did "The Girl With the Pearl Erring"), with no need for 3D! Marvelous acting by the maturing cast we all love: Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter; Emma Watson as Hemione Weasley; and Rupert Grint as her brother, Ron. True, if you're not familiar with the saga, presented first in J.B. Rowlings magical best sellers, (and the movies that followed) as the prelude to this "Part I of the Deathly Hallows," you may be somewhat lost, but despite my having forgotten a lot of the details from last book in this magnum opus, I got enough background information from several recaps printed in the LA Times that I could thoroughly enjoy the movie today. In fact, I feel eager to go back and re read all 759 pages in Volume 7. I don't resent the filmakers dividing all that material into two movies. Now I have Part II of the Deathly Hallows to look forward to! Meanwhile, let's hiss and boo Ralph Fiennes as Lord Voldemort, perfectly acting the embodiment of evil, wearing enough gruesome makeup to make you cringe and despise him just for his looks. Another marvelous make up job or special effects triumph, was the creation of the heroic house elf, who, having been given his freedom previously by Harry, has committed himself to being Harry's friend and protector. There was pathos, sentiment, danger, suspense, and even some humor, all packed into about two-and-a-half hours of today's FOUR STAR experience. Yes, true it was "dark" -- in fact I had dreaded seeing it, but there was enough of friendship and loyalty -- and certainly there was plenty of excitement -- all combined to balance it and make me very glad I went to see it. Signed, SP - resident Muggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment