May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"It's Kind of a Funny Story"

Big surprise for me! This film, directed and written by Anna Bodon and Ryan Fleck with a third writer, Ned Vizzini, far exceeded my expectations. A story focusing on teenage angst (our hero is a depressed, 16 year old boy, contemplating suicide, who checks himself into a mental hospital to get help) would not usually bring forth accolades from me -- but this was so well done, so expertly acted by Keir Gilchrist as Craig (who also narrates the story -- which is actually quite funny in places, but mostly it's an insightful drama), makes you care about him, as well as Bobby, who is marvelously, and I do mean marvelously played by Zack Galifinakis, delivering dialogue with brilliant timing and subtle nuances of expression . If that isn't effusive enough for you, let me also mention charming and talented Emma Roberts playing another 16 year old patient at the hospital. Every word of the diaglogue is a gem, and there are other fascinating characters to meet as well. Would you want to spend your vacation in a mental hospital? Well, I spent one hour and 20 minutes there today (vicariously, of course) and enjoyed every minute of it! (errata: fun to see Lauren Graham (of "Gilmore Girls" fame) as Craig's mother-- although just briefly.) Can you guess how many STARS? Try the number after three and before five. Yes! FOUR!

No comments:

Post a Comment