May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Friday, October 1, 2010

MY TOUCHSTONE FOR RATING THE MOVIES

You may have noticed that I seldom give less than THREE STARS to any of the films I review -- and often give FOUR. (That's as high as I want to count.) Perhaps I'm too easily pleased. Basically I don't want to be offended or bored. And I avoid seeing things I am pretty sure I would not like, so why bother? I don't want to waste my time and money on Horror films, Vampire films, and those that are obviously made (usually shown during summer vacation) for boys in Jr. High School. I also am careful about seeing any that get really bad reviews from the professional critics (though sometimes they are wrong! ) As someone pointed out to me, the Critics get paid for being critical; I just review because I want to. Some films I have liked a lot got only mixed reviews by the "professionals" I get information and impressions from newspaper ads and columnists in the L.A. Times, and from http://www.metacric.com/ and occasionally from a friend's recommendation. So, there you have it, more than you ever wanted to know about the back story behind my deathless prose. Stay tuned for "The Social Network" -- everyone is raving about it. I'll let you know. SP

No comments:

Post a Comment