May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Monday, October 4, 2010

"Altiplano"

In Spanish, French, Farsi, Quechua (sp?) and English, this marvelous film is unforgettable. It starts with the most ear shattering wail/song of a beautiful Indian woman in the midst of gorgeous mountain scenery high in the Andes of Peru. Village residents are going blind and dying from Mercury Poisoning caused by the mining that is being done; but they don't understand the cause. (They try faith healers. The doctors in the Cataract Clinic can't help, and the locals turn on them in anger.) There's a romance, also. Fantastic photography -- different from anything I've ever seen. the film is heartrending in its reality, and gets into your subconscious with its surrealism. A blind sculptor is repairing a fallen statue of the Madonna, which was being carried in a traditional celebration when it fell. The symbolism, the artistry, the craftmanship of this movie is exquisite -- and disturbing. The music is magnificent. The acting is so real, that it amazed me. FOUR STARS, for sure. (I doubt if this film will show in general release, I caught it during the week it played at a local art house.) SP

No comments:

Post a Comment