May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Agatha Christie and Sir Walter Scott

Moving pictures created in the mind's eye though the ancient medium (hopefully not an endangered species) of real books, in hard copy. Agatha Christie is probably the most prolific mystery writer of all time (as well as very beloved ). I recently finished NEMESIS and THE SLEEPING MURDERS, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. The "detective" in each of these is Miss Marple, a mild mannered, proper British lady in her seventies. I like the way Christie describes in great detail the thought processes of this elderly crime solver. (Most of Christie's novels feature Hercule Poirot as the solver of crimes, using his "little grey cells.") There have been multiple Television adaptations of Agatha's books.) Then we have the classic, IVANHOE, the creation of Sir Walter Scott, which is not so easy reading, but well worth the effort, because, despite the constant use of olde English words that I do not understand, still I found myself transported into the realm of knights and scoundrels during the time of Richard the Lion Hearted's imprisonment and absence from his Kingdom. It's a story of romance and revenge, intrique, yet there's a code of honor - even among thieves. (It also describes the horrible anti-semitism and persecution that was prevalent in those days of Norman dominance. (Not to mention the lot of the Saxons.) Ah, "Man's inhumanity to man." Buy a book, folks, or go to the Library! (Yes, I know, some of you will read books electronically, but for me, I want to hold a book in my hands and turn pages of paper.) Of course, I will still to to the movies. Stay tuned...SP

No comments:

Post a Comment