May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Micmacs

I really, really, really loved this film! I don't know what the title means, but maybe someone can enlighten me? It doesn't really matter; what matters is that the French once again, prove their marvelous comedic genius. This is not a "Hollywood"movie. The outstanding ensemble cast is made up of fabulous, weird or zany "circus-style" folks, each of whom lays claim to a special talent. Combined, they team up to help our hero (played superbly by Dany Boon), a lovable, brilliant, albeit strange, man (well, it's not his fault, after all, he has a bullet lodged in his brain) plan and achieve -- a-unique revenge against the arms and munitions manufacturers who are responsible (among other atrocities) for his father's death when our hero was a small boy. In French with English subtitles, the visuals are fabulous in themselves. All in all, when I wasn't laughing out loud at the absurdity on screen (which was often!), I couldn't help smiling anyway. every scene was a treat. If you like off-beat, quirky but clever humor, and total not quite non-sensical entertainment, run, don't walk to see "Micmacs." SP

3 comments:

  1. Micmacs is slang for "screwups" So, the title could be roughly translated as "The Screwups go Wild." The official American title is: "Non-stop Madness." Haven't seen it yet, but I have the DVD in my collection. Thanks for the review!


    .....G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laugh-out-loud moment: the soccer landmine scene. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found out the literal meaning of "tire-larigot." How? I actually watched the film ;-) It means "slide whistle."

    What an inventive movie! They actually built all those wild things made from "recycled" items. Too cool. I laughed a LOT.

    ReplyDelete