May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Duel by Anton Chekhov

Probably if I had read the book first (a Novella by Anton Chekhov), the movie might have been easier to follow ( or not?) However, every aspect of the film is so brilliantly done, camera work, acting, lavish scenery, that I didn't care that I didn't understand why all these Russian folks went to the same summer "resort" together. Resort isn't the right word, but from other reviews I've read, apparently the Russian Summers can be so brutally hot that people go off to the country to cool off. Among the players is a gorgeous married woman (gorgeous when she has her makeup on) who is with a man who is not her husband, and is, one might say, a "wastrel." (Drinks, gambles, gets obnoxious when he drinks) He receives a letter with the information that his mistress' husband has died. He doesn't want to tell her, because then she'll expect him to marry her. Another man in the group, a respectable, decent guy, is disgusted with the other man and you keep waiting for "the duel" which is actually worth waiting for. I've ordered the book, and will let you know if I understand the plot better after I've read it. Walking out of the theater, I spoke with several women who agreed that it was confusing -- but they enjoyed it, anyway. SP

1 comment:

  1. I finally read the book (it's a short novel, i.e. novella) and can appreciate Chekhov's reputation as a writer. However, keeping track of all the characters' Russian NAMES was still challengin for me, but I was able to follow the plot easier. I'm glad I read it. SP

    ReplyDelete