May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"City Island"

Don't let the lack of a more interesting title prevent you from seeing this funny, insightful, laugh-out- loud (often) drama. Yes, there's a lot of yelling in the Rizzo family by the the father, Vince, played by Andy Garcia and his wife, played by Julianna Margulies, but despite my dislike of yelling, I loved this movie. In fact, if you read my very early posts, you know I saw it some time ago -- but I went to see it for the second time, and still loved it! Almost every character (except the wife and the prison parolee -- {this actor is terrific} ) in this unusual plot is hiding something, and, with good intentions, is lying about it. A college age daughter and a teen-age son round out the excellent cast with flawless performances. Emily Mortimer , and Alan Arkin add their special talents to the mix. Yes, I know the critics found flaws, but from my point of view - it was a great success: engaging, insighful, marvelously acted and worth seeing the second time around. SP

No comments:

Post a Comment