May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Agora 4th Century

Yogi Bhajan often said, "Life is a comparative study." The truth in that statement could not have been better illustrated than my two most recent movie going experiences. After thoroughly enjoying the clever, hilarious, laugh-out-loud antics of "Micmacs" last week, I found myself on the verge of tears, and suffering through one of the most painful -- actually, I think the most painful movie I've ever seen, "Agora." Based on historical fact, it's a brutal, violent, (I had to close my eyes a lot) sickening portrayal of the murders of Christians by Pagans, the killing of Pagans by Christians, and the killing of Jews by Christians, back in the 4th Century in Alexandria. "Agora" provided a graphic record of the horrors of religious fanaticism, and how innocents can be caught up in the fervor of mob psychology. You may be familiar (I wasn't ) with the renowned philosopher, Hypatia of Alexandria, played here by the very beautiful Rachel Weisz. A teacher and astronomer, she was sought after, and loved by several men, but she was only interested in pursuing her studies. In the 4th Century most folks though the earth was flat, and that the planets revolved around the earth. She was actually ahead of her time. Because she saw no reason to convert to Christianity, she ended up being stoned to death. Anyway, for a miserable matinee, feel free to see "Agora." (As a film, it had a slow start, spending a lot of time in the marketplace. However, the photography was really excellent throughout-- outstanding in fact. The camera crews shot some scenes from a helicopter. )

No comments:

Post a Comment