May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Monday, August 23, 2010

"The Expendables"

Violence galore, impossible car chases, non-stop shooting, noise level super loud, but with intermittent amusing dialogue (especially from Jet Li.) This Sylvester Stallone film is fun, despite the fact that it's not really a very good movie. Part of the time the actors were in such shadow, that I couldn't tell who was fighting whom. Neverthe less, I enjoyed myself, as the audience also seemed to! Probably because the violence was so over the top unbelievable that it didn't bother me. Sly shot up a storm, guns blazing all over the place -- as did his cohorts (except one was more proficient with a knife.) Mickey Rourke almost stole the picture, and Jason Statham was really excellent, a "noble" killer. Almost every cliche you've ever seen in an action movie is included. Plus, you get a cameo from Arnold Schwartenegger (current Governor of California - though not playing that part here) that the audience loved. Bruce Willis has a small bit, expertly handled, and the really bad, evil guy (not part of Stallone's team of mercenaries) was Eric Roberts, perfectly cast. There is, of course, a beautiful girl -- but it's all very chaste and noble. I'm tempted to give it three stars, but that might be misleading, so let's settle for TWO and a HALF STARS.

No comments:

Post a Comment