May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

"Winter's Bone" and "Inception"

Talk about two diametrically oppposed films! "Inception." a SCI-FI THRILLER with SPECTACULAR special effects (WITHOUT benefit of 3D, I'm happy to say!!) is number one at the box office, whereas "Winter's Bone," in somewhat limited release, is stark reality, and I do mean stark .-- No holds barred, it shows living conditions in the Ozarks that require learning survival skills just to stay alive day by day. Playing Ree Dolly, the 17 year old heroine of "Winter's Bone," is a an unknown (up until now!) Jennnifer Lawrence, who gives one of the finest performances I've ever seen. The cast of "Inception" on the other hand boasts consistenly capable Leonardo DiCaprio in the lead, and perfectly cast supporting actors: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page (these two steal the show, I think), Ken Watanabe, Tom Hardy ,Tom Beringer. Cillian Murphy and Marion Cotillard with one of my all time favorites, Michael Caine, whose appearance is brief, but as always, flawless. Directed by Christopher Nolan, "Inception" has to do with mind games, played within the three levels of the dream state. (Play close attention if you expect to follow the plot, which is supposed to be about corporate espionage.) Whereas the story line in "Winter's Bone" is clear enough, Ree Dolly is searching for her father, who has disappeared after putting the family home up for bond while he's awaiting a court date. Ree is meanwhile taking care of her two younger siblings (beautifully seen not as child actors playing parts, but as real children - unselfconscious of the camera. ) and her mother, who seems to be suffering from dementia (that's my diagnosis, anyway.) All that Ree says is that her mother is "sick." Anyway, I vote for Jennifer Lawrence as the ultimate heroine (and Academy award contender), whose courage and determination are not based on leaping off buildings, or shooting a bunch of bad guys (though she obviously knows how to handle a shotgun, and teaches the younger kids how to do it, so they can get squirrels for supper if she's not there.) Although "Winter's Bone" is grisly in parts, it is mesmerizing, and everyone in it is totally believable. (Some of them actually are not actors, but folks recruited from the locale!) Both films have their top notch direction, photography, and acting, but as for the "enjoyment" factor --- well, some of "Winter's Bone" is quite unpleasant, and "Inception," which most professional critics give highest praise, somehow annoyed me. (Perhaps because it was confusing to me-- as it was probably supposed to be.) So, this makes my now requisite rating by Stars difficult. Hmmmm. All things considered, I think I'll go with 3 stars for each film -- though many of you may think I should have given each of them 4. I must admit, I might reconsider, but lest you think I'm a pushover for 4 stars for everything, I'll let it be 3 each, for now. Let me know what you think, if you see them. Signed, Ambivalent Author of this Blog, SP

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention the unforgettable MUSIC in "Winter's Bone." I love Blue-grass, and this excellent film opens with an a capella singer of a haunting melody, and includes, later on, a couple of scenes with Ozark musicians and singers. Fabulous! (I have no recollection of the music in "Inception.")

    ReplyDelete