May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Friday, July 16, 2010

"Despicable Me" and "Great Directors"

To give the Devil his due, "Despicable Me"did a good job with the 3D effects. Actually, too good a job in places, such as the roller coaster ride, which I couldn't watch -- it made me queasy! The sad thing is that this film had excellent animation, great voices (Steve Carell, Jason Segal, and even Julie Andrews, God bless her! She is depicted as an ugly old crone, the mother of the main protagonist, "Gru" who speaks with an accent that only the marvelous Carell could have invented), an interesting plot, and a good script. I would have been just as pleased to watch it in 2D (and even more pleased not to have to pay extra for the 3D!) , but it wasn't available in the theater where I saw it. The three little orphan girls were adorable, and almost stole the show.
In another genre, "Great Directors" is a documentary. It was only playing for one week at a small theater in Santa Monica, the Nuart, that shows "arty" films and older films you don't find elsewhere. I thought the Producer/Director who managed to put herself on screen with each of the ten Directors she interviewed was rather annnoying, but it was very interesting to hear the Directors talk about what directing is all about for them. Several were European, and I had only heard of a few of them (David Lynch, for one) - and had not seen many of the films they directed (clips were shown), but I enjoyed Great Directors, and would recommend it to anyone who loves going to the movies. As for how many stars? That's tricky. Do I rate a film according to my enjoyment of it? If the story is good, but the acting isn't, or the acting is great, but the story is confusing, or if it's visually excellent (such as "Avatar"), with fine photography, but otherwise not appealing, how do I rate it? Sigh...SP

No comments:

Post a Comment