May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Two Favorite Books

For years, probably since I was in my teens, I've been saying that Christopher Morley's WHERE THE BLUE BEGINS is my favorite book, And then I got to wondering if it would still hold that rating, now that I'm in my 80s. So, I read it again, and loved it again. In exquisite prose that reads much like poetry. It is philosophy, fantasy, a fable, a personal quest for truth - and happiness, presented through the eyes and adventuresof a bachelor, Mr. Gissing, who happens to be a canine, in the literal sense of the word. (Yes, he's a four legged dog.) My copy was published in 1922, so you may have to go to a used-book dealer to find it. But it's worth finding.
My other favorite is the fascinating THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY. The White City refers to Chicago in 1893 when it hosted the monumental World's Fair, and the Devil refers to H.H. Holmes, the infamous serial killer who carried out his murders at this same time period in this same city. This is a true story, non-fiction, that reads like the best fiction/mystery novel. Written by Erik Larson, it was published in 2003. I found a reference on Google to the "movie"about the White City, but it has not been made yet, as far as I know. Reporting from the City of the Angels, Signed, your host, SP

4 comments:

  1. The movie was made for TV in 2007 and it's called "Madness in the White City:

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456065/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Thanks for the book recommendation. I just downloaded it (for free) from Archive.org and put in on my Kindle for reading.

    http://www.archive.org/details/wherebluebegins01morlgoog

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Devil in the White City is one of my all-time favorites too! Excellent writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, me too. Erik Larson is a compelling writer. I really liked "Thunderstruck" as well. I found out about both books from Shakti!

    ReplyDelete