May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Monday, July 5, 2010

"Wild Grass"

Fortunately my good friend had told me that this French film was confusing, so I went in with that expectation. . And it certainly was convoluted. However, I did appreciate the marvelous photography and the superb acting. Otherwise, oh my! To add insult to injury, the subtitles in white were frequently superimposed on scenes that were so light that I couldn't read the text. I doubt if that would have clarified much, but it did add to my annoyance. My analysis is that the story (two main characters -- a woman whose purse is stolen on the street -- and the man who later finds her abandoned wallet with the money gone, but the I.D. intact --- becoming obsessed, and pretty much cracking up! (taking turns haiving nervous breakdowns. He's first ) It's about obsession (probably sexual -- although nothing overt or even R rated is shown); losing one's mind; and self destruction. The lead actress, actually a pretty woman is obviously demented (even though she doesn't act it, at first) if one can judge from her wild, untamed (uncombd?) bright red hair . It was truly a fright wig. Reminded me of Johnny Depp's wild Mad Hatter in the recent "Alice in Wonderland." BTW, she's a dentist. One critic called this movie a "mind bender." Well, thank you very much, but no thanks. However, I must admit, the male lead actor was outstanding. After the show, I saw small groups of folks standing around obviously trying to figure out what it was all about! SP

2 comments:

  1. I think you should start putting 'stars' (asterisks?) after your titles on each post. I wanna be able to tell people, "Shakti gave this 4 stars out of 10!" :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion about rating the films with stars. Hmmmm. I'll give it some thought.

    ReplyDelete