May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Princess Kaiulani and Robin Hood again

Yes, Yes, I said I wanted to find a PG rated film, but "Princess Kaiulani" wasn't it. First let me go back a few posts and explain something: I think my aversion to "Harry Brown" was not so much because of the violence in it, but the circumstances: vicious cruelty of drugged, depraved young perpetrators. After seeing and enjoying "Robin Hood" -- which had a lot of people getting killed -- I figured out that my ability to tolerate violence has to do with the time, place, and circumstaces in which it occurs. That having been said, let us now cross the waters to that legendary land of the hula.... If you like long walks on the beach, watching the sun set over rippling waters (over and over), and all that sort of sentimental stuff with young lovers' lingering kisses (again and again -- really- enough already!) , then you might like "Princess Kaiulani." I'm sorry, I didn't. It had a basic (true) story that should have been more compelling. But it just didn't make it. Lest I forget, lots of collecting sea shells, each one connected with a memory. Anyway, the young princess falls in love with an Englishman (I didn't see much chemistry, just a lot of what Yogi Bhajan used to call "exchanging saliva"), gives him up because she loves her country more, and returns to Hawaii, even though it is no longer a monarchy. (But she does manage to get universal suffrage for her people - standing up against the obnoxious US politicians.) Going back to horses and bows and arrows, I want to report that I just watched "Robin Hood" again on TV - the one with Errol Flynn. And well, folks, I don't want to choose between him and Russell Crowe. They cannot be compared. They are both splendid heroes!! (Errol was perfect for his era, dashing in his green tights - paired with beautiful Olivia DeHaviland, and Russell is definitely the Robin for now (better costumed, thank goodness) , perfectly matched with stunning and vibrant Cate Blanchette). See you at the movies! SP

No comments:

Post a Comment