May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Michael Caine is "Harry Brown"

Once upon a time I claimed to have a high level of tolerance for violence in movies. I thought it helped me to vicariously experience/express my (hidden!) martial tendencies. Well, those days are over!
"Harry Brown" has gone way over the top, even for me. If it weren't for Michael Caine's superb performance as the quiet, retiree who finally has "had enough," and goes out as a vigilante against the depraved, drugged out, violent crazies who populate almost the entire film, I would have walked out. (I probably should have!) Emily Mortimer ( always wonderful ) plays a policewoman, also trying to solve the killing of the elderly retireee who was Harry's (only) friend and chess partner. In the course of events, they each get brutally beaten up and shot. (Spoiler: they do survive) I'm going to hope for some PG films soon, or I shall have to rely more heavily on my TiVo -- which reminds me, I forgot to mention "Frasier" -- almost always clever and enjoyable and nobody gets maimed or murdered. Thank God for reruns. I'm wondering how heavy the newest version of "Robin Hood," coming out next weekend, with Russell Crowe, is going to be. (Errol Flynn he ain't, nobody is.) I'll let you know. Sigh.... SP

No comments:

Post a Comment