May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Somewhere"

It was't all bad. Yes, there are some positive aspects to this film by Sofia Coppola, especially since there is plenty to talk about afterwards! I breathed a sigh of relief when it was over. Only 98 minutes, it felt like 6 hours. I definitely liked Stephen Dorff playing the rich and famous Hollywood star, "Johnny Marco" and Elle Fanning playing his daughter, "Cleo." Together, they were excellent, appearing very natural, inhabiting their roles and obviously comfortable with each other and enjoying the relationship. (I hope she gets some good parts and continues her career, Stephen also; I like him.) Living as I do in Los Angeles, growing up in Hollywood, I'm familiar with the landmarks, the freeways, and of course, the Chateau Marmont hotel, where (I am told) the celebrities stay, party, have casual sex, and wait for the call from their agents. I didn't hate this movie, but I didn't like it very much either. I understand that S.C. intended the slow pace, to indicate the boredom for "poor" Johnny in between gigs --and in that, she succeeded, it was definitely boring and tedious to watch. The pole dancing twosomes that came to entertain our hero actually became boring also, too much, for too long; at least that's my opinion. Oh, and the symbolism (is that the right word? maybe it's a metphor?) showing him racing his Ferrari at breakneck speed around and around (5 times I counted)an oval that went nowhere - opens the film. At the end, I think he's near the same track. All very "artistic" and neuveau something or other. Not for me, folks. Sorry. Some cinephiles may love this film.

1 comment:

  1. As one professional critic put it, "Somewhere" is nowhere.
    SP

    ReplyDelete