May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Saturday, September 25, 2010

TV or not TV, that is the question

New season, trial and error: "Outsourced" - Did you ever call Customer Service for some product and get a heavily accented voice on the other end? Well, this is about the phone room in India that has just received a newly trained American manager. I found this Pilot just plain annoying, watching it once was enough. Never again. Even worse was "Bored to Death," which I turned on only because I noted Ted Danson was in it. Before he even came on screen (and others in the cast are undoubtedly talented) I found the program crude and offensive, and I deleted it. Happily, "The Whole Truth" starring Rob Morrow (remember him from "Northern Exposure"?) and Moira Tierney turned out to be a fast moving battle of legal wits between the two, Prosecutor (Moira) from the D.A.s office, and Rob, the Defending an accused murderer. So far, so good, I liked this! I wasn't drawn to "Hawaii 5-0" until I noted that it had Scott Caan in one of the leads ('book 'em Dano"). Because many years ago when I met his father, James Caan, at the home of a mutual friend, I had been quite impressed with how gracious he was, despite his fame. I've always remembered him fondly. Plus I had heard good things about Caan fils, so I decided to see for myself. Glad I did. With Alex O'Laughlin as Steve McGarrett, heading up the elite "police task force at the request of Hawaii's governor (played by a Jean Smart, I think, whom I recall appearing on "Frazier"some time ago), this "Hawaii" is more violent than the original, but quite well done, and Scott did not disappoint. In fact, he's wonderful. Both he and Alex are great. Oh, and you get to see surfing, and a bikini clad cousin of Steve's, who helps catch the bad guys. Despite my venturing into new teritory, I am loyal to my old favorites, and totally enjoyed watching "How I Met Your Mother." It never fails to entertain, and even surprise. Consistently wonderful ensemble cast. Another (though off and on) favorite is the quirky "30 Rock" - This episode had Matt Damon playing Carol, the pilot boyfriend of Tina Fey, so I definitely had to watch it. Always a pleasure to see Alec Baldwin so perfect in his role. You gotta love "The Mentalist." Well, anyway, I do! And "White Collar" and "Covert Affairs." I have yet to see "Boardwalk Empire" - It's waiting on my TiVo. I'll let you know. SP

No comments:

Post a Comment