May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Something's Gonna Live"

Thanks to Kevin Thomas's excellent review in the LA Times this Friday, I went to see this outstanding documentary. Otherwise, from the title alone, I would not have had any interest in what turned out to be a wonderful film about the legendary team behind the scenes (now, there's a better title, don't you think?) of some of the most unfogettable films of all time. ("North by Northwest"; "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"; "To Kill a Mockingbird"; "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" ; "The Birds" --- just to name a few!) Directed by Daniel Raim, featuring Robert Boyle (production designer), with Henry Bumstead and Albert Nozake (also production designers); story board illustrator Harold Michelson; cinematogographers Conrad Hall and Haskell Wexler. Interviews with these brilliant and dedicated filmmakers explaining what they do, how and why they do it, interspersed with clips from some of the classic films they created made for a thoroughly entertaining and, for me, educational experience. I never understood until today, or paid much attention to how a film is made, and I found it absolutely fascinating. Plus, bonus extra, there was a Q&A with the Director after the show, and I also spoke with Haskell Wexler. Tell your friends: see this movie! FOUR STARS, of course! SP

No comments:

Post a Comment