May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Thursday, September 2, 2010

"The American"

Playing against type, George Clooney went from "Up in the Air" to down in the dumps! George, I still love you, despite this gloomy, sad venture into the hardened killer (and expert maker of precision weapons) slowly melting as 'love' (for a gorgeous prostitute) softens him up to wanting to end his crime career: just please don't do this again!! There is none of the usual Clooney radiant charm, and too many long drives through scenic countryside, and running up and down stairs in Italy -- albeit artistically photographed. (Is this a trend, all these movies lately that play like travelogues?) For those women who swoon and fantasize about George, there are a couple of steamy sex scenes (presenting full frontal female nudity) that I could have done without. Perhaps Mr. C. was using this film as an audition for the role of the next James Bond? I could enjoy seeing him as 007. George, you are so talented that I'm sure you can succeed as a dramatic actor even if you weren't so handsome and charming (even in this flick, can't hide that great face), but please choose your next film more carefully. Meanwhile, I forgive you for this fiasco. In all fairness, "The American" does create suspense (excellent music background) and a few surprises, and so I can give it at least TWO STARS. (FYI, Roger Ebert loved this film and gave it a score of 100 on metacritic.com -- but hey, this blog enables me to express my personal opinion!) Perhaps I'm not sophisticated enough to appreciate the subtlety (translate: "boring") of the pacing (slow) and deep complexity of the hero's stifled and hidden inner emotions. Mea culpa. SP

No comments:

Post a Comment