May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

"Skirt Day"

In a magnificent performance by Isabelle Adjani, supported by a superb cast, this unique, amazing film created such a high pitch of emotional intensity throughout, with constantly changing confrontations and reactions, that I was often moved to tears. Adjani plays a Jr. High teacher in one of France's public schools in a poor and racially diverse neighborhood, where she has suffered the insolence, vile language, and incorrigable behavior of the students in her class on Moliere day after day, until this fateful day when, as violence breaks out among the kids, a bag is dropped, a gun falls out, and she grabs it. Oh my! What happens next keeps you almost breathless with suspense, and never lets up. Twists and turns. An admirable hostage negotiator. Such outstanding drama. I wish I had more than FOUR STARS to offer! Please add a drum roll and a red carpet for this relevant and expert social commentary. SP (P. S. "Skirt Day" refers to the fact that by rebelliously wearing a skirt {which was consisdered 'sexy,} instead of pants, the Teacher created controversy and criticism - to prove a point.)

No comments:

Post a Comment