May 2011 - Come visit my NEW Blog!

I'm no longer updating this Blog so come on over to my new one, "Escape to the Movies with Shakti"
See you there.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

"UNKNOWN"

Warning, it's quite violent in some places. Also, I'm not a big fan of car chases. "Unknown" has several lengthy and spectacular ones, But I can find no fault with any other aspect of this film. I have to give it FOUR STARS despite any imperfections. Probably the 4 star performance by Liam Neeson accounts for my unabashed admiration and enthusiasm. He is definitely a force to be reckoned with! What a marvelous, spectacular performance! Excellent, suspenseful plot (OK, maybe you have to "suspend disbelief" - but so what?). Neeson plays the part of "Dr. Martin Harris," enroute, with his wife "Liz," well played by January Jones, to attend a scientific convention in Berlin. While checking into their hotel, he realizes he left his briefcase at the airport, and dashes off frantically in a Taxi to retrieve it. In a freak accident in the cab, driven by Diane Kruger, he is nearly killed (she saves his life). He is in a coma for 4 days. When he wakes up, he can barely remember his name. But as he starts to recall the conference he is supposed to be attending, he leaves the hospital prematurely. The doctor warns him he should wait - but he feels the urgent need to see his wife, and hurries to the Hotel where the conference is being held. When he sees his wife, she tells him (and everyone else) that she does not know who he is, and introduces Aiden Quinn as her husband, Dr. Martin Harris. Add to the mystery, a frightening attempt on his life in the hospital, and then a bunch of thugs following him and trying to kill him. Bruno Ganz (wonderful old actor!) plays "Jurgen" a P.I. (proud to be a former member of the East German secret police) who tries to help him. Neeson was given Jurgen's contact information from a nurse at the hospital with the explanation that "he finds people." Frank Langella adds his acting talents to the film. So, who is "the real" Dr. Martin Harris? Why is "Liz" denying his identity? What is going on? I may even see it again, now that I know -- but I'm not going to spoil your fun by telling you ! Don't read any spoilers; just go and see it for yourelf. Praise for the Director: Jaume Collet-Serra and the Screenwriters: Oliver Butcher and Stephen Cornwell, "Unknown" is based on the novel: Out of My Head by Didier Van Cauwelaert (I hope I spelled all these correctly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment